Wednesday, June 27, 2007

My contribution to Timberwolves' history


All the KG talk has me recalling fondly my biggest contribution to Timberwolves history. It's really more of a KFAN history thing, since PA and Dubay play the clip constantly. When you hear Kevin Garnett say, "I'm not a stat guy. I'm a win ... I'm a win kinda guy," think of me and smile, because that was in response to one of my questions.

I was covering a game for the AP a couple of years back when KG had some kind of freakish statistical streak come to an end -- something like 34 straight games with a double-double and five assists or some quirky thing that the NBA tracks. After the game, the Big Ticket made the media wait while he took his customary 45-to-60 minutes to shower and dress and tether those softball-sized rocks to his earlobes.

Once the horde had asked their questions and moved on, it was down to me and a KFAN intern with a tape recorder. I asked Da Kid about the streak, if he was aware of it and if he was conscious of his numbers during the game (which, as I recall, was a comfortable Wolves victory, meaning he could have padded his stats if he wanted to). That's when he uttered his memorable quote, which Intern Guy captured for the annals of history.

So there you go. It's not quite as memorable as being the guy who stepped on Wally Szczerbiak's already-injured bare toes, but as locker-room stories go, it's all I've got. And whenever I hear that clip, it puts a little hop in my step.

No comments: