Monday, October 29, 2007

Well, that was quick

So much for a memorable World Series. Even being at Coors Field the last two days, I have few memories of the Boston sweep, because nothing memorable really happened. Matt Holliday's 3-run homer in the 7th inning on Saturday was a big moment, but quickly became a moot point when the Sox matched it with a 3-spot of their own in the 8th. And the Atkins home run gave the Rockies a little life in last night's game, but they just had no shot against Papelbon.

I think I actually missed the biggest story of the night by being at the park instead of watching it on TV. A-Rod's announcement that he will opt for free agency instead of returning to the Yankees is causing a big fuss among the national talkers today, because he and agent Scott Boras felt they had to thrust themselves into the conversation with the Red Sox two innings away from another World Series win. That's par for the course with Boras, and the overreaction to this ploy says more about the country's collective dislike for A-Rod and the deep-seated inferiority complex among Red Sox fans, who seem to be happiest when they have something to complain about.

A couple of media notes to wrap this up with a bow: If you've grown weary of the long World Series games, send an angry note to the fine people at FOX. At the stadium, the between-inning breaks seem interminable, I'm guessing because FOX gets to squeeze in an extra 30-second commercial every break, including pitching changes, which are numerous in the postseason when every manager knows the world is watching to see what a brilliant tactician he is.

Also, I listened to some post-game shows on the radio last night and they were pretty bad -- I think Minnesota sports fans are spoiled with KFAN. Maybe they don't talk 100 percent sports, but for the most part they know what they're talking about when they talk about sports. One guy on a Denver radio show last night -- the host, mind you -- thought that Troy Tulowitzki's rough World Series would hurt his chances to win the Rookie of the Year (the voting is conducted before the postseason starts), and when a caller said Matt Holliday should be the MVP, the host didn't know that Jimmy Rollins was his main competition, and he thought Prince Fielder was probably going to win it because he hit 29 home runs this year. I don't know, maybe he was stoned, but it was terrible.

3 comments:

RJ said...

My favorite part of the World Series was the lively "Tulo" chanting during his at-bats. Any idea how that started? Perhaps I missed an explanation, as I didn't watch a whole lot of the games.

exparkrangerguy said...

I have to jump in on this one as I continue to listen to KFAN (the Denver version) on a daily basis and have done so pretty regularly for the past ten years.

I don't know what host you heard, but overall, the quality of the hosts in Denver is superior (at least in my mind) to the competition in either Minneapolis or St Louis. (Maybe it is just that they have become like an extended family to me!) Listen online for awhile and I think you'll agree with me.

First, in the morning you have Sandy Clough and Mike Evans. They were recently reunited (Sandy's old partner Mark Moser has become the color analyst for Avalanche hocky). Sandy is the consummate professional that makes sure to keep the callers honest and on their toes. He knows his stuff and lets people know when they are wrong. Pure enjoyment listening to Sandy. I have emailed him several times over the years and have received responses almost always. His new partner, Mike Evans is more the "Guys talk" type of guy. A Syracuse boy and Boston fan, he tends to be a jack-of-all trades at the fan. He used to have an email segment that was very good.

The show also carries the Jim Rome show and then moves on to Scotty Hastings and Alfred Williams, both former professional athletes. Alfred tends to be a local hero with having participated in the Super Bowl victories for the Donkeys. They usually keep things pretty light and I really haven't caught onto this new show.

The institutions of the station are Irv & Joe (and recently added Jim Armstrong, a Cheddar head if there ever was one). Irv, a former baseball coach and NCAA basketball referee, pretty much knows anyone involved in sports in the past 50 years. Yet, he doesn't come across as arrogant or demeaning like Sir Sidney Hartmann. Joe (Cash) Williams is an expert on the human condition. Serious humor ensues from their interactions. Joe knows college football and gambling (and drinking) better than almost anyone. There are days when I'll have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard. Their "Football Fridays" are definitely worth listening to. Although I thought I would never say it, I already enjoy having Jim Armstrong in the mix.

Some of the other hosts have included Dan Issel, Bob Davidson (wasn't he originally from Minnesota?) the old baseball umpire and Jim Ryan (Big 50 from the Broncos).

I know most of you could care less about all this information, but as I said, they have become like family to me over these many years. . .

Farris Thorne said...

No memorable moments? I'd have to disagree with you on that one, VG.

For me, the most memorable moment came in Game Three, when Sox pitcher Daisuke Matsuzaka came to the plate with two out. When an AL pitcher is forced to step to the plate with two out, I assumed the inning was over and got up to grab a brew.

But no... instead, he catches the Rockies with their pants down and most unexpectedly smacks that two-run single. Having no idea about the pitcher bats / DH dichotomy between leagues, Mrs. T wondered why I was laughing so hard.

The other memorable moment came when my Boy first struggled to say "Mammy Wameerez," and subsequently described him thusly: "He look like a poodle." But then again, that one happened only in my living room.... ft