Friday, February 6, 2009

SI cover line FAIL

I'm a reasonably creative and sports-minded individual. I get puns, frequently use metaphors, and can crank out a simile like Bill Simmons cranks out podcasts. (See what I did there?)

But even for me, this SI cover line is an epic fail. If I have to take a full 60 seconds to figure out what "That's Six for the Sixth" means, I'm guessing the meaning sailed way over the heads of the average reader.

If you still haven't figured it out, "Six" refers to the touchdown, which is also known as "six" because it's worth six points. And that "six" gave the Steelers their sixth Super Bowl title.

Come on, SI. Don't make us work too hard. You're already about to get a flood of "cancel my subscription" mail with your upcoming swimsuit issue. Don't piss off a nation's worth of composition teachers too.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least it isn't a closeup of Horseface. Still can't stand that guy.

PDizzle said...

I got to watch the game in HD for the first time -- we bought the new Vizio the day before -- and seeing a closeup of Elway on a 42" screen in high def is not for the faint of heart.

exparkrangerguy said...

God Bless John Elway. . .

Unknown said...

Thanks for explaining that stupid cover line to me. I ain't the brightest bulb in the box, but i'm not some moron either...and I've been looking at that cover on my bathroom floor all week trying to figure it out.