Friday, May 18, 2007

Two for one

This week, you get two reviews for the same low-low price. The staff at the Weekly decided to run a collection of reviews for albums we missed the first time around. It's something they do every six months or so, just to cover our tracks and ensure proper indie cred in the archives. Anyway, I chipped in my thoughts on The Cat Empire, an Australian band I saw on Letterman back in February. They blew me away with their energy and style and the cool Latin beat. Come to find out they recorded at the same studio in Cuba that housed the Buena Vista Social Club. I picked up the CD and loved it. It's a hit with the whole family, in fact. Nora requested "Sly" just today.

Also, I sink my teeth into the latest effort by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club. Don't let the name scare you off -- their last release, Howl, was a sleek collection of rootsy chestnuts that had hootenanny written all over it. They rock harder on Baby 81 (which took its name from a baby that was found after the 2005 tsunami and claimed by 81 families), but retain some of the shimmer of Howl.

Both of these CDs carry the official Donnelly Seal of Approval.

Oh, and in case you're wondering if I'm focusing solely on becoming the next Robert Christgau, I do have plenty of irons in the sports fire. I'm writing previews of four Big 12 teams for the Blue Ribbon College Football Yearbook, I've got a couple of stories going for Viking Update, and am working on a World Series of Poker piece for LVM. Unfortunately, I don't think any of these will be available online. If I can find links, of course I'll post them.

Rock on.

No comments: