Saturday, August 18, 2007

The totals on the board are correct

Here's the final tally for my recently completed road trip throughout 20 percent of this great country.

Days on the road: 26
Beds slept in: 10
States visited: 10
Cups of truck stop coffee consumed: Infinity
Miles driven: 5,162
Gallons of gas consumed: 213.6
Average mpg: 24.2
Money spent on gas: $625.93
Average price/gallon: $2.93
Best mileage/tank: 26.6 mpg (Minneapolis to Park Rapids, MN)
Worst mileage/tank: 21.6 mpg (Mitchell, SD to Blackhawk, SD)

The fuel efficiency numbers are somewhat surprising. I was told the hybrid engine wouldn't get great mileage on the freeway because the gas engine kicks in when you're driving above 30 mph, but I got pretty much the same mileage on this trip that I do when I'm tooling around Henderson. I'd credit that to cruise control regulating my speed and limiting the constant acceleration you see during most highway miles, but the worst mileage came on I-90 when I had the cruise locked in at 80 mph pretty much the whole way.

Regardless, I'm happy to be back, and even happier to have spent so much quality time with family, friends, and my iPod (in that order).

No comments: