Monday, April 7, 2008

Awwwww

I try to keep the "my kid is so cute" stories to a minimum here, because everybody's kids are cute and I could waste a lot of space here chronicling the cute things they do and say, but I couldn't resist passing this one along.

The Littlest Gopher is 4 years old and has begun joining us inside the main church on Sunday mornings, rather than spending an hour in the nursery. She's noticed that the other three members of her family receive Holy Communion each week, a gift that she's thus far been denied because of her age.

So out of the blue the other day, the Littlest Gopher says to Mrs. G, "Mommy, you know those little turkey circles that you get to eat at halftime in church? I think I'm ready to have them, too."

I'm not sure if it was her notion of the wafer as turkey or her concept of "halftime" at church, but regardless, that killed me.

And on a related note, the Bigger Little Gopher scored her first goal of the season in Game No. 3 for the U11 Fusion of the Henderson United Youth Soccer League on Saturday. And it was a thing of beauty.

BLG (that's her, far right, with her friend Taylor) isn't a big scorer -- she's outstanding at setting up her teammates, but doesn't look to shoot that much. But on Saturday, she put a Pele-esque move on a defender to get open, then ripped a shot through the goalie's fingers and into the net from about 20 feet out. It tied the game at 2 early in the second half, and a late tally lifted the undefeated Fusion to their third straight win.

Afterwards, we had juice boxes and mini Oreos and wished we'd bought that damn video camera.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Way to go Fi!!!!!!!!!!!! We're still waiting for it to stop snowing so we can get our season started outdoors. AS for "turkey wafers" I may have to go Unitarian cuz I don't know how I'll ever be able to participate fully in the mass with any sense of reverence again. Kids say the darndest things. Kinda like " and lead a snot into temptation" means setting up your big sister.