Thursday, May 21, 2009

On the head

Great piece by E.J. Dionne of the Washington Post this week, commenting on the Obama speech at Notre Dame's commencement ceremonies. You really should read the whole thing if you're interested in how the left and right can find common ground on cultural issues, but if you've only got time for the highlights, here's one:

Obama was as explicit in talking about his faith as George W. Bush ever was about his own but with distinctly different inflections and conclusions.

The former president often emphasized the comfort and certainty he drew from his religious beliefs. Obama said that "the ultimate irony of faith is that it necessarily admits doubt."

"This doubt should not push away our faith," Obama preached. "But it should humble us. It should temper our passions, cause us to be wary of too much self-righteousness." It was a quietly pointed response to his critics.

To me, that perfectly summarizes what has always bugged me about the born-again crowd -- to them, religion = certainty. But if you are certain of something, is it really a matter of faith?

In his letter to the Romans, Paul said, "For in hope we were saved. Now hope that sees for itself is not hope. For who hopes for what one sees? But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait with endurance." And that's what faith is about to me -- it's about hope, the promise of salvation, not a smug sense of certainty that I'm right and the rest of you are going to Hell if you don't believe what I do.

I know I don't have all the answers, but I have faith that I'm on the right path. It's a long road to where we're going -- let's hope we all get there together.

3 comments:

PatT said...

Great post Pat...most thought provoking piece I have read on a blog for a while!

Marc Conklin said...

It was a great speech... as was the one before it by Father Jenkins. After the embarrassment I felt at some of the press leading up to the speech, I definitely felt proud when all was said and done.

PDizzle said...

Thanks Marc -- I was wondering what your reaction to the whole controversy might have been. But I didn't want to ask you because that would have been so ... predictable? "Hey, let's ask the liberal Notre Dame graduate how he feels about the controversy at Notre Dame!"

I wonder how Archbishop Nienstadt reacted to the speech. I hope a bright, shining light seared through his soul and enlightened his spiritually corrupt worldview. But I'm not holding my breath.