Thursday, September 6, 2007

NFL quick picks

Given that I live in a city where sports wagering is legal, I might wind up writing a bit about it on this blog. I've already had one request to post my famous five-team weekly NFL parlay, which I'll do tomorrow. In the meantime, here are my picks for the NFL season, just so I can look back in January and see how stupid I was.

NFC division winners: Eagles, Saints, Bears and Rams
NFC wild cards: Panthers, 49ers
NFC champion: Saints

AFC division winners: Patriots, Ravens, Colts and Chargers
AFC wild cards: Broncos, Bengals
AFC champion: Chargers

Super Bowl champion: Chargers

Yes, I know I'm putting a lot of faith in Norv Turner. I like to live dangerously.

One note on the Purple: I think they'll be historically bad. I have no faith in the TJ-Secret Squirrel combo, I think the defense will be worn down from having to deal with the offensive ineptitude, and their special teams have been nothing short of horrible in the preseason, reflecting a trend that emerged last year.

I hope I'm wrong, because I'm still a fan and because I still get paid to write about them by a couple of outlets, and it's always more fun to follow a winning team. But this thing smells like 4-12.

More football talk tomorrow.

2 comments:

Marc Conklin said...

I'm standing by an 8-8 prediction for the Purple. I think having Adrian Peterson, Bobby Wade and Sidney Rice makes them about 33 percent better, which means two more wins than last year.

PDizzle said...

Yeah, but all six of their wins last year came with Brad Johnson at the helm. Not that he was great, but he wasn't gawd-awful. The bar has been set low for Jackson -- can he clear it?