Monday, July 23, 2007

Gone but not forgotten

I hate to speak ill of the dead. I don't even get into death pools, despite my affinity for fantasy sports and recreational wagering, because I believe it's bad karma to celebrate anyone's death.

So far be it for me to dance on Tammy Faye Messner's grave. I loathe what the woman, and her creepy ex-husband Jim Baker, stood for. Their list of crimes against humanity are too long to list here, but as the great Bono once said, "The God I believe in isn't short of cash, mister!"

But Tammy Faye's passing causes me to ask this simple question: Did God give her cancer as payback for fleecing the public in His name? I only ask this because so many of her kind -- like the late Jerry Falwell and the increasingly senile Pat Robertson -- are so fond of the concept of divine retribution. Remember when AIDS was God's punishment for the hedonistic behavior of the gay community? How about when God sent the al-Qaeda attackers to punish our tolerant society on 9-11? And who could forget God's fury raining down on the sinful citizens of New Orleans during Hurricane Katrina?

Yes, these arguments all were voiced by right-wing Christians (and I use that term advisedly) to help "explain" these monumental tragedies. So, why aren't these same religious leaders pointing a bony finger of shame at Tammy Faye?

Could it be hypocrisy? Nah, those guys are many things, but they couldn't be hypocrites.

Could they?

2 comments:

Big Primpin' said...

Hypocrisy in politics? Dude, what are you smoking? That would never happen.

Farris Thorne said...

I'm guessing they didn't go after Tammy Faye's particular malady because they're only too happy when terminal cancer patients send in their life savings. Crimony, alienating those folks would affect the bottom line, wouldn't it?

On the other hand, AIDS and hurricane victims are easier targets; I'd imagine few AIDS patients watch CBN, and I'd imagine the hurricane victims couldn't watch, because their cable was out... ft