Thursday, January 10, 2008

A rare four-star review

Nobody was more surprised than I to find out that I really liked the new CD by Lee Rocker. Remember the Stray Cats? Rocker was the pompadoured purveyor of the stand-up bass, who along with Slim Jim Phantom provided the bouncy rhythms behind Brian Setzer's glossy guitar and vocals.

He came to Vegas last week -- Henderson, actually -- and while I didn't go see him, I kinda wish I had. His latest CD, "Black Cat Bone," is pretty darn solid. Let's let a professional music writer tell you more:

The former Stray Cats bassist has carved out a nice little niche in the roots-rock world, and his latest solo effort pushes the boundaries beyond rockabilly. Hints of Springsteen, Elvis (Presley and Costello) and Hank Sr. reveal a polished songwriter who’s not afraid of taking chances to find his voice.

Wow. That guy can really turn a phrase. Anyway, Lee Rocker -- who knew?

1 comment:

RJ said...

Nice revamp of the site! It startled me at first as I thought I had stumbled upon one of those URL not found alternative sites offering URLs for sale.

Speaking of Springsteen, Adam Carolla's radio show featured a great Springsteen anecdote by comedian Christopher Titus:
http://podcast.971freefm.com/klsx1/844883.mp3